You are here
Health Care Reform
Enacted on March 23, 2010, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) (Pub.L. 111-148) is expected to expand health care coverage to an additional 32 million citizens and legal immigrants by 2019 through a combination of state-based private insurance exchanges and a Medicaid expansion. In addition, the new law includes a number of reforms to curb harmful insurance company practices as well as provisions to slow the growth of health care costs and improve quality of care.
Here you will find resources to better the different aspects of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) implementation including coverage, preventive services, integration and enrollment.
Mental Health America ACA Updates
- Selecting a plan that meets your mental health needs: printable toolkit or Qualified Health Plan Worksheet
- Affordable Care Act Toolkit
- Affordable Care Act 101 Fact Sheet
Mental Health America Conference 2013
Breakout Session 4: Investing in "Upstream Services" - A Call for Prevention and Early Intervention
- Bryan Samuels Presentation (PDF)
- Olga Price, PhD Presentation (PDF)
- Sandra Spencer Presentation (PDF)
- Sherri Luthe Presentation (PDF)
Breakout Session 9: Coverage - What Does a Model Coverage Package Look Like?
- Pamela Greenburg, MPP Presentation (PDF)
- Adrienne Ellis Presentation (PDF)
- Charles Curie Presentation (PDF)
- John O'Brien Presentation (PDF)
Breakout Session 11: Integration and Transformation - From Disease Management to Recovery and Wellness
- Karl Wilson, PhD Presentation (PDF)
- Suzanne Fields, MSW, LICSW Presentation (PDF)
- Harvey Rosenthal Presentation (PDF)
- Rusty Selix Presentation (PDF)
Mental Health America ACA Webinars
Please visit our Webinar Page for the most recent presentations.
Resources on Medicaid Managed Care Services
On May 7th, 2012, Mental Health America staff and guest speakers presented a webinar on Medicaid Managed Care Contracting. Materials for the webinar are below:
Health Care Reform Toolkit
This toolkit is designed to help advocates understand how the Affordable Care Act impacts the behavioral health community, and gives strategies for becoming involved in implementation activities in your state by engaging your legislators, Governor, mental health commissioner, and other key stakeholders.
- Strategy Brief - Getting Involved in Your State
- Fact Sheet - State Insurance Exchanges
- Fact Sheet - Medicaid Expansion
- Talking Points - Gaining Support for the Implementation of Health Reform
- Sample Op-Ed - Gaining Support for the Implementation of Health Reform